Gibbs & Olson is currently recruiting to fill a Survey Crew Chief position. Ideally, the candidate will be self-motivated, love working outdoors, and have strong team and communication skills.
This position assists the Survey Department Manager and is responsible for overseeing the collection of field survey data utilizing conventional and global positioning system (GPS)/Real Time Kinetic (RTK) methods.
- Valid driver’s license.
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Associated of Arts Degree in Land Surveying or Civil Engineering. Four years of relevant and similar experience may be substituted in lieu of the degree requirements.
- This position requires 4 to 5 years of experience as a Survey Technician.
- Washington State Land Surveyor in Training (LSIT) certificate is preferred, but not required.
- Demonstrable knowledge of survey principles and staking.
- General knowledge of standard construction principles.
- Ability to operate survey equipment including total stations.
- Demonstrable knowledge of GPS/RTK survey methods.
- Demonstrable knowledge of current Windows-based data collectors using Topcon’s MAGNET field software.
- Ability to operate digital levels, robotic total station and GPS field survey equipment.
- Works with and under the direction of the Survey Manager to survey project sites to obtain and analyze topographical details.
- Leads activities of survey crew.
- Generates contour maps and alignments or staking points for construction surveys.
- Ensures field crew utilizes checklists and maps/figures prepared by Survey Manager for use in the field to perform work where needed to complete a specific field assignment.
- Applies critical thinking to adapt to differing field conditions or surveying/staking requirements when applicable. Confers with Survey Manager when necessary to verify proposed revision to field work is appropriate due to differing field conditions or surveying/staking requirements.
- Is responsible for setting grade stakes on construction projects.
- Demonstrates accurate and thorough quality work and completes daily tasks in a timely manner.
- Observes safety and security procedures as specified in the Company’s Safety and Risk Management Policies and Procedures Manual. Reports potentially unsafe conditions to the Survey Manager.
- Uses equipment and materials properly and follows training guidelines for equipment.
- Performs other work related duties as assigned.
Gibbs & Olson is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.